8.9.09

The Next Evolutionary Step...


























I honestly hoped this (please click on link) would be a joke, but sadly it's not. I think the current generation of 'Youths' may not outlive their parents, which is a shame for the folks, but maybe not such a bad thing for the good of the earth and my peace of mind when I'm old and grey.
When you call for help via Facebook over the emergency services I think you've given up your right to legitimate help. You're on your own. The digital world is now your wilderness and you're Christopher Johnson McCandless.

As technology progresses our ability to recognise and process our natural survival instinct seems to regress. We used to navigate the earth using the Sun, now we click on a button and 'where you are' is on your phone in the form of a detailed map, pinpointing your exact location and you wonder aloud how you ever got by without it. In retrospect, it makes me glad my Dad encouraged me to join the Cub Scouts as a child, otherwise I fear my basic navigation skills might be slightly less than desirable. As for those that never experienced the learning structure of Baden Powell's finest, then how you can even get out of your front door each day is an achievement worth celebrating. The sort of celebration people are used to nowadays, alongside being better on Guitar Hero than on an actual guitar. Well done society of mediocre talents, well done.

Although to be consistent with opinions I've just shared, I guess I should be printing this out on a typewriter and distributing door to door. One man's blog post is a latter day man's telegram delivered by horse. I'm sure the recipients of that method were freaking out when it first was used and then complained on parchment using a quill about how 'we used to deliver on foot in our day' and then stuck the ramblings on a tree in the middle of the town. But the point is, they got somewhere, they progressed, they kept their wits.

Please imagine the below being read by Carl Sagan. Obviously he can't as 'he dead', but I think his tones would suit my little short.

"We are here!" she cried desperately, as her gaze, fixed and focused, looked toward the stars. She knew full well that the object of her desire had exploded before our civilisation was even conceived, but she still entertained the idea that there might be a chance that her call might be one day be returned.

"Please find us...". But the Universe failed to respond. It didn't so much as ignore her, it just had absolutely no idea she was even there.

Michelle is...sayin that the urth is well rubbsh 4 nt gettin bck to her. So much 4 alienz. LOLZ

This guys Dad rules



Let me point out that I do recognise the irony in the fact I'm complaining about all this via modern methods of communication.

Gareth
xx

No comments: